Tuesday, June 24, 2014

"YES Woman"

This post is going to be all over the place, so bear with me..

I don't know how many of you have seen the movie, 'Yes Man', but it's just a comedy about a guy who has to say 'yes' to every opportunity that comes his way. It makes for a funny movie, but it got me thinking.. that's not a bad idea. Of course, you don't want to go to the extent he did, and say "Yes" to giving random hitch-hikers rides and things like that. I more mean just saying "Yes" to something you normally wouldn't be brave enough to do, or something you've never tried before.

Then, I started reading a book that I really recommend, titled, 'The Happiness Project', where a woman takes us on her personal journey to find true, inner happiness with herself and her life. She brings up the same type of idea, taking opportunities that are put before you, and taking risks with your life. After all, what's the worst that can happen?

Now, I'm going to shift gears a bit and focus on that question, "What's the worst that can happen?" Anyone who (like myself) has anxiety, will take that question and RUN with it.. and I mean RUN (sometimes it's impressive how quickly my mind can run through all worst-case-scenarios of every situation.) I feel like my whole life I've held myself back from things, or just automatically said, "No" because of my anxiety. I get too scared to take risks or do anything outside of my comfort zone, because, "What if this.. or this... or this..." and so on. The older I get, the more I am able to recognize my anxiety and TRY to not let it hold me back. 
I've decided for myself to start being a do-er instead of a wisher. I've always wanted to this or that, but I've never allowed myself to, because, "What if that gives me anxiety?"

Now, back to the book I talked about earlier. In the book, it's brought up that we rarely take risks because we don't want to fail. Which brings me to this lovely quote:


I'm going to remember that quote next time my anxiety leads me away from a great opportunity, "What if I fail?"

...........


"What if I fly?"


No comments:

Post a Comment